Friday, July 22, 2011

I debated for a while as to whether I wanted to jump into the media firestorm that Quartzsite has become. I am not affiliated with the town council or the mayor in any way, I don't claim to be a journalist. I am nothing more than a member of the community of Quartzsite. However, I no longer feel that I can stand by and watch in silence as the town that I love and have chosen as my home continues to be ripped to shreds  by the media.

First let me say, Quartzsite is not under martial law. Let me repeat that. Quartzsite is NOT under martial law. Chief Gilbert is not running the town of Quartzsite. Quartzsite is being run by the town manger who answers to the town council, as it has been for years. Jeff Gilbert is our Chief of police. He is under the direction of the town manger as he has always been.

 The town council of Quartzsite is made up of 6 people at this time. There are normal 7 but one of our council members has stepped down in order to run for Mayor in the August recall election of Mr. Foster. Those six council members have equal right and responsibilities under the structure of our government with the exception of the Mayor presiding over the meetings. Each persons opinion and vote carry equal weight.

I believe that actions speak louder than words . Let me share with you some of the actions of the members of our council that the media is trying to vilify. One member of our council donates many hours of their time to  our local search and rescue, is part of the substance abuse prevention coalition, and volunteers at other community events when asked. Another member of our council is a member of Operation Hero Comfort which sends care packages to our troop, and is Also on the board of Willpower Inc., a non-profit organization whose mission is to prevent cruelty to animals and children. Another council member donates money and time to a multitude of organization and events in the town.  Another one is very actively involved in the Quartzsite Rotary. All five if these council members routinely attend community events and functions to show support fir the town, Mr .Foster is another story. The only group Mr. Foster is involved in, to my knowledge, is an anti-Quartzsite group called The Citizens Coalition and he very rarely attends any community functions.

Many of the articles and reports published talk about the residents of Quartzsite being afraid, or even imply that we are just to intimidated to make a stand against Chief Gilbert and the council. Keep in mind that this is the council that faced a recall election in March in which every seated council member retained their seats, because they do have the support of the majority of the citizens of Quartzsite. The residents here are not hiding out in fear. It is business as usual. People are working and shopping and doing everything they were doing last month at this time. The only difference is that now people outside of our community have heard of Quartzsite. It has been said that we as individuals should have stood up for  Ms. Jones' rights at the council meeting when she was removed by the police on June 28th. I was in that meeting and witnessed the entire event. When Councilman Winslow asked for her to be removed the police started to move in. There was some discussion with the attorney as to whether a council member could make the motion without being recognized by the Mayor. She stated the statutorily he has the right. At that point it was voted on, and after the motion passed. Chief Gilbert followed directions and removed Jennifer Jones from the meeting. As for why more people didn't stand up to defend her, I can't speak for everyone there but I know that myself and the people near me were glad to see her go. We have been forced to listen to her rantings and her personal attacks for the last couple of years. In fact, if you would go back and watch the video of previous council meeting over the last year or so you can hear a groan every time Ms. Jones gets up to speak. And it's not coming from the council. There is a huge part of Quartzsite that are sick of Ms. Jones and her actions.
As far as whether her rights were violated or not, I guess that will probably be up to a judge to decide. I do know that she did not follow the rules that were set forth by the council for call to the public.That being said, there was a council meeting that took place in which Mr.  Foster decided to no longer allow announcements from community members whose names were not on the agenda under the reports and announcements section of the agenda, where they would normally happen. There were several community members there that had come to make announcements about upcoming events that were with no warning, not allowed to speak. In that same meeting, without any vote or discussion Mr. Foster also decided to skip call to the public even though it was on the agenda. In fact there have been a few meetings were Foster has done away with call to the public with no notice even though it was on the agenda.

Just for the record though, the council does not have to allow a call to the public or any public input at all. Council meetings are not public meetings, they are meetings open to the public. The public has the right to attend the meeting, not necessarily to participate. That is up to the discretion of the council. At least the council has been forthcoming in saying they are not allowing public comment at the next few meetings instead of waiting until the end of the meeting and surprising everyone.

I read a post last week from an entertainment journalist that claimed that he felt the media. himself included, was partly responsible for the L.A. riots. His reasoning for this was that the video tape of the beating of Rodney King was almost 2 minutes long, but the media only showed the most inflammatory 13 seconds over and over again. The didn't show the first 91 seconds in which Rodney King showed some aggressive behavior. Therefore, when the jury saw the whole tape they came to a different conclusion than the people that only saw the news clip. I am not saying one way or another what the right decision is in that because I was not in that jury room. But I feel those statements run a parallel to our situation. Everyone is reacting to a one minute video clip when the reality is that Ms. Jones has been threatening and attacking the council and the community for several years including but not limited to finally many complaints and charges that have been dropped after no cause was found. All of these actions cost Quartzsite time and money that could be better spent in other places improving our community.

Ms. Jones always make sure to point out that she has been charged but never convicted of any of the charges against her. What she fail to make know is that it is because they are all currently in the court system. Although she is telling the truth this is a misleading statement which has been happening a lot lately.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that the information that is being disseminated by the media is not what is really happening here. The entire town is not opposed to the council. Officers are not walking the streets in riot gear. Quartzsite is a wonderful community that unfortunately has a few people with big mouths that don't want to pay taxes or fees. Fees and taxes I might add that allow us to have a police and fire dept, library, park and many other services.

11 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tricia,
    I suspect that the majority of Quartzsite is frustrated and annoyed by the massive attention the town has received. But I also think that the attention would have been completely avoided had the council not trampled on the rights of individuals. Its clear that many find Ms. Jones to be very annoying, but that alone shouldn't be cause mistreat her. I doudt that either side of this distute has been completely forthcoming with the entire story, but the attention has been focused on the actions of the council, Ms. Taft, Mr. Johnson, and Chief Gilbert becuase the rest of the nation finds their actions to be shocking, and shock sells in the media. I wouldn't dispute that these same individuals do many good things outside their official capacities, but that doesn't absolve them from their actions as public officials. The Quartzsite story is fascinating and will likely see continued outside interest until the towns finances become transparent and the results of the AG and DPS criminal investigations are completed.

    Stay tuned, the drama is only mounting. By the way, the compatison between Quartzsite and the Rodney King LA Riots seems a bit far-fetched.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband and I became residents of Quartzsite last year when we bought a small winter home there, so I don't have years of experience in the area. I must say, as a comparative outsider, that I agree with this writer. We became aware of the friction when we picked up the free "newspaper" published by Ms. Jones, which I then began to look for as an amusement. It was apparent from the writing in that publication that she was at odds with most of Quartzsite, and continually trying to fan the fire to make any disagreements worse.

    We love Quartzsite and everything about it, a little funky town full of folks in our age bracket who are (usually!) laid back and friendly. We look forward to our return trip in October and hope that reason returns to the area!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tricia Jo,
    I live in Florida, and I am not trying to tear Quartzsite to shreds. I want the people of Quartzsite to have a good life and enjoy the freedoms that we are guaranteed by the Bill of Rights in the US Constitution. We are on the side of the citizens of Quartzsite. I realize you don't like Jennifer Jones very much, but there is no way to defend what Gilbert and Sgt. Garcia did to her during the June 28th council meeting. There is no way to justify that action! There is also no justification for Joe Winslow trying to stop Jennifer from speaking at that meeting when Mayor Foster had given her the floor to speak. Whether you like it or not, the Town Code states that the Mayor calls and presides over the meetings, not the council members. The Mayor is the "Chief Executive Officer" of Quartzsite, not the Town Manager. I spoke to Mayor Foster on the phone earlier this week, and we had a really good conversation. He's a good man trying to fight corruption. Also, why is it that 9 Quartzsite police officers and 1 desk clerk filed charges against Gilbert if he is such a good Police Chief? The answer is that he is not a just man. I have seen enough to convince me that Mayor Foster is the only elected official in Quartzsite that's not corrupt. When Freedom Watch called Al Johnson for an interview, he hung up on them. If this is all just a misunderstanding, why won't he explain his position with the media?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never excepting negitive comments will not make you a good blogger. It 'makes' what you wrote more of a set up then your true feelin's. so I expect what I would, like to, write back, on your blog will not make a hour. So I won't was my time. But you don't even care, except to here how right you are, and they are, what a perfect world we live in.
    I also live here in Quartzsite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not from Arizona...but have been following what is going on in Quartzsite. I feel for your town.
    What I am wondering is you didn't mention anything about the 10 policemen who have, more or less, agreed with Ms Jones.
    Maybe she has become more and more vocal, because she IS being mistreated by the Chief and the Council, and getting more frustrated with their handling of her situation. It does appear that the Chief and the Council are in cahoots, so to speak.
    Have you ever sat quietly down to talk with her to see her side of the story? Or is it because you have known the Chief longer, and since she is a newcomer, you just dismiss what she says automatically?
    I would think, as an outsider, that since this IS your town, you would do more investigation on what the whole story is.
    I have always tried to be open to any and all sides, and once I can say that I have done my complete homework...I can then pass my opinion on. (note...I didn't say Judgement)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I appreciate that you have shared your opinion on the happenings in Quartzsite as we all have seen mass media coming to our small town. I do have a issue with you grouping a majority of residents with your opinions. My family has been in Quartzsite since the seventies so I know the vast majority of hard working decent families by name. The very dirt in your front lawn was one time moved by friends and families that have built this town with thier lives.
    What is politics without a society that puts their trust in sound judgement? Nothing but turmoil, fear,intimidation and anger.

    What our community has now is anger! Weather or not you believe one story after another the truth remains is that our police department has been reduced to a chief with disregard of rules and regulation and a town manager that controls the very words spoken in a meeting. You watch the unedited versions of the meeting and watch the non-verbal cues.

    I too have spent countless hours volunteering for our community until it was a political attendance roster to be slandered.

    If you take one thing from my comments take this. Was your friends or family put on suspension after years of devotion to this town? If not refrain from grouping yourself as a vast majority of Quartzsite.

    You see after the dust settles us desert rats will still be here and you and your friends of the chief will have moved on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fightinsloth- When the council objected to Ms. Jones behavior during call to the public she could have choosen to take her seat and then share her opinion once the meeting was adjouned, if not from within town hall then ouside of the building. I'm sure anyone wanting to hear what she has to say would have stayed to listen. I can''t speak as to whether the council's action were legally or not. More than likely that will be up to a judge to decide. What I do know is a motion was made by Councilman Winslow to remove her and then voted on. There was a discussion with the attorney as to the legality of the motion, and then the officers were directed by the town manager to remove her.

    As for my comment about the LA Riot I was not Comparing Quartzsite to the rioting. I pray it never comes to that . I was drawing a comparison between the media coverage. The media is seeing a one minute tape , not the previous several years of Ms. Jones behavior.

    Conley- Again, Chief Gilbert and Sgt. Garcia were following orders. We have a council management style of government in Quartzsite. As such, the position of Mayor is largely ceremonial. The town is run by a town manager hired by the council. I respectfully disagree with you about Mr. Foster being a good man just fighting corruption. He has filed a multitude of charges against the town with many agencies. Yet all ow these charges come back unfounded, after costing the town of Quartzsite somewhere in the ballpark of $50,000 the last I heard for the town attourney to draft responses. If I'm reading your comment correctly it seems to be your theory that since 10 members or 2/3 of the police department filed charges against the chief he must be wrong. Wouldn't the same be true of the council. Since 5 of the 6 members of our council, roughly 85%, are in direct opposition of the mayor he must be wrong. It's not always about the numbers. Some of the charges against the chief had recently been investigated by Arizona Dept. Of Public Safety after Mr.Foster filed them. Chief Gilbert was cleared of any wrongdoing at that time. I do find it funny however that that these officers leveled these complaints right after several of them were passed up for a promotion. Timing is everything.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Turtle- This blog is simply a way to express my opinion. I have posted all coments, negative or not .There are an awful lot of blogs and websites full of negativity towards Chief Gilbert and the council. I choose to share my opinion which is different. I never said I was right or that Quartzsite is perfect. As to whether this is a good blog or not I guess that is up to each individual to decide. However, as long as my name is on the blog you will continue to get my opinion on these issues. No one is forcing you to read it,

    Cat325- You are right in your assumption that I have never sat down and had a face to face conversation with Ms. Jones. I have however read many of the things she has published on the internet as well as listened to her speak and several council meetings. I have witnessed her either outright lie or take a small piece of the truth and twist it beyond recogniton. A prime example of this is when Ms. Jones was running for council in March .The day before the election I happened to hear a commercial in which Ms. Jones was talking about how our council was wasting money on planting trees instead of improving our water system.I won't argue that there needs to be some improvemnts to the water sysrem in Quartzsite. It's a work in progress and my understanding is that it is a money issue. It is also true that at that time the town was in the middle of planting trees throughout the town. What Ms. Jones failed to mention was that the trees were part of a non-matching beautification grant intended to improve our community. The council did not spend money on this. I do feel I've done my homework. I regularly attend town meetings, both the regularly scheduled ones and the special ones. I don't always agree with every policy or ordinance to come out of town hall. What I have discovered is that our town manager and our council seem to have an open door policy. I have on several occasions gone to someone with a concern or complaint and have found them more than willing to listen and if possible or necessary take steps to resolve my issues. Maybe the fact that I don't start with name calling and insults has gotten me farther than some. As far as for why I believe Cheif Gilbert, although I have not read this most recent 200 page investigation yet, I did read the previous 50 page investigation filed last year. Many of the charges were identacle. Not even different incidents of the same behavior, but the same charges. He was investigated and cleared of all wrongdoing at that time. I personally have never experienced Chief Gilbert throwing his weight around or being overly aggressive. I can't say the same for some of the officers that are part of the "Quartzsite 10"

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Council had no right to stop Ms. Jones. Judgment of her behavior is up to the Mayor, who never called her out of order. During public comment, Council CANNOT make motions, remove a person, discuss anything not on the agenda or even dialog with the speaker. The Mayor can call a person out of order, set a reasonable time limit, or have a person removed for disorderly conduct. Councilman Winslow violated Open Meeting Law when he made his motion to remove Jones. The action was null and void.

    The Town Manager lacks the authority to remove a member of the public. She attends the meetings in a support role to the Council. The Mayor presides. When I presided over Council meetings, I put up with far worse activists than Jones and you know what? They got it all out and then stopped coming. They wanted a fight and didn't get one.

    You're right about this: The media is hitting a few wrong points and some them are flat out wrong! The insistence that there is martial law and a state of emergency is not accurate. Here's why: (putting on my ex-mayor hat again).

    According to your Town Code, the Mayor is the sole person who can declare a state of emergency. Unless he is swept away by the very flood waters that would constitute an emergency, neither the Vice-Mayor, Mayor Pro-Tem or Council can do it (certainly not the Council since they'd have to meet illegally to do it.... this is why the power is delegated to the Mayor).

    Because the Council met in a closed meeting (ONLY allowed during a state of emergency) one might jump to the conclusion that this must be the case. But the Mayor did NOT call an emergency, therefore there was not one. Furthermore, the closed meeting was illegal, plain and simple (see ARS 38-431.01(A)). The only two times a Council can meet behind closed doors is during an emergency or during executive session which MUST be part of a properly agendized, noticed public meeting. Mayor Foster is the only member of the Council that was not in violation of OML for that meeting as he refused to participate.

    The 7/12 meeting was also illegal for two reasons. 1. All public wanting to attend a meeting must be allowed to do so. If there is an overflow, the meeting cannot legally be called to order. The Town Attorney did not address that point when asked before the meeting. 2. The agenda was not posted to the Town web site as required under ARS 38-431.02(A-1b). It is STILL not there! Furthermore, the Council deliberated, sought legal advice and voted on a motion BEFORE the meeting was called to order. Illegal! The Vice-Mayor should have done that by herself and then made the decision.

    You don't have to like the people who are against the Council. You can say they are on the wrong track, don't know what's good for the town or whatever. That's fine with me. It's a matter of local policy issues that you as a community have to work through. However, I think there are some points on which you all can agree and it behooves you to work together. I believe that all of you want an open, honest, lawful, and transparent government. I believe it is in your best interest to work together to get it (and you can fight everything else out later). Speaking from my area of expertise, I can assure you that you don't have that baseline of performance! When I can rattle off multiple violations of state law in a single 5 minute video, something is wrong! A poor friend tells you that your dress is interesting. A good friend tells you not to wear it! If you truly want your Council to excel, help them clean up their act! Tell them that they need training and better legal advice (that's another story). Tell them you want them to represent you but they have to earn their credibility in front of the town (and now the nation). Help them to succeed! Let them stay in office or be voted out based on the community's policy preferences, not based on a legal firestorm and negative media attention. Get them to commit to a baseline of performance and the voters will handle the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your community may be getting ripped to shreds but it is not being done by the media, I can assure you. Rudimentary research of the governance of Quartzsite (or any number of towns in AZ, Peoria, Maricopa County) show an amoral disreguard for individual liberties if these liberties do not conform to the ideals of those currently in power. The evidence of said research also points to the possibility that the political culture of Quartzsite has been corrupt since its inception (Rex Byrd et. al.)
    From my perspective, the childish idiocy occurring in Quartzsite at the moment can be attributed to a struggle for power between to equally corrupt, selfish and unqualified individuals.
    Watching grown adults act like selfish children is embarrassing enough but when those actions cause the shredding of the fabric of civil society, trying to hide or blames others for those embarrassing actions is an inappropriate response. A word I value and use as a personal guide to daily living may be of help to your town: RESPONSIBILITY

    ReplyDelete